European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF) - (European Structural and Investment Funds)
Description Go to funding source website
For Flanders please also refer to Departement Landbouw & Visserij: EFMZV
Over half of EU funding is channelled through the 5 European structural and investment funds (ESIF). They are jointly managed by the European Commission and the EU countries. The purpose of all these funds is to invest in job creation and a sustainable and healthy European economy and environment.
European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF)
The EMFF is the fund for the EU's maritime and fisheries policies for 2014-2020. (cohesiondata)
(Information on funding after 2020 is available here: EU budget: Commission proposes a new fund to invest in the maritime economy and support fishing communities)
- helps fishermen in the transition to sustainable fishing
- supports coastal communities in diversifying their economies
- finances projects that create new jobs and improve quality of life along European coasts
- supports sustainable aquaculture developments
- makes it easier for applicants to access financing.
How it works
The Fund is used to co-finance projects, along with national funding.
- Each country is allocated a share of the total Fund budget, based on the size of its fishing industry.
- Each country then draws up an operational programme, saying how it intends to spend the money.
- Once the Commission approves this programme, it is up to the national authorities to decide which projects will be funded.
- The national authorities and the Commission are jointly responsible for the implementation of the programme.
How to access EMFF funding
To see if your project is eligible for EMFF support:
- First check with the national authority in charge of managing the operational programme in your country.
- Then follow the relevant application procedures so that the managing authority can check the eligibility of your project and whether it meets the relevant selection criteria and investment priorities.
- Committee and Expert Group on the EMFF - guidance documents
- The Open Data Portal for the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESI Funds)
- List of beneficiaries of the EMFF
EMFF and other EU funds (ESI)
- The EMFF is one of five European Structural and Investment (ESI) Funds which together, promote a growth and job based recovery in Europe. Learn more about the links between funds and how Member States are applying them.
- A monthly newsletter (“European Structural and Investment Funds Open Data”) on the ESI funds, which contains open source data on the use of the Funds, as published by the Member States, is available for subscription here.
- Coronavirus: European Commission helps Member States support local fishing and aquaculture communities through EU and national funds
- Financial allocation per member state
- EMFF Operational Programme and fact sheets
- Questions and answers
- EMFF support to small-scale coastal fishermen (leaflet)
- Mainstreaming of climate action in ESI funds
- European Structural and Investment Funds: guidance for beneficiaries (Regional policy website)
- European Structural and Investment Funds, Common Provisions Regulation: legal texts (Regional policy website)
- Funding 2021-2027