Official information sourcehttps://europa.eu/investeu/home_en
The promotion of recovery, green growth, employment and well-being across Europe is one of the EU’s top priorities, supporting investment that delivers real benefits and makes a difference at the local level.
What is the InvestEU Programme
The InvestEU Programme builds on the successful model of the Investment Plan for Europe, the Juncker Plan. It will bring together, under one roof, the European Fund for Strategic Investments and 13 other EU financial instruments.
Triggering more than €372 billion in additional investment over the period 2021-27, the InvestEU Programme aims to give an additional boost to sustainable investment, innovation and job creation in Europe.
What will the Programme consist of?
The InvestEU Fund aims to mobilise more than €372 billion of public and private investment through an EU budget guarantee of €26.2 billion that backs the investment of implementing partners such as the European Investment Bank (EIB) Group and other financial institutions.
The InvestEU Advisory Hub provides technical support and assistance to help with the preparation, development, structuring and implementation of investment projects, including capacity building.
The InvestEU Portal brings together investors and project promoters on a single EU-wide platform, by providing an easily-accessible and user-friendly database of investment opportunities available within the EU.
InvestEU also features a Member State compartment for each policy area, meaning that Member States may add to the EU guarantee’s provisioning by voluntarily channelling up to 5% of their Cohesion Policy Funds to these compartments.
InvestEU is an important part of the Sustainable Europe Investment Plan and is helping delivering on.
Empowering people with a new generation of technologies.
Response to the COVID-19 pandemic with EU investment support
The InvestEU Programme is uniquely suited to provide long-term funding to companies and to support Union policies in a recovery from a deep economic and social crisis.
Opportunities start here
The InvestEU Programme builds on the successful model of the Investment Plan for Europe, the Juncker Plan which mobilised more than €500 billion in the period 2015-20. With the aim of triggering a new wave – more than €372 billion - in investments using an EU budget guarantee, the InvestEU Programme aims to give an additional boost to investment, innovation and job creation in Europe over the period 2021-27.
InvestEU helps our economy recover from the coronavirus crisis. It contributes to transforming the EU into a fair and prosperous society, with a modern, resource-efficient and competitive economy, by playing a pivotal role under the European Green Deal Investment Plan and the Just Transition Mechanism.
InvestEU is part of a digital transformation that benefits everyone in Europe. Digital solutions supported under InvestEU open up new opportunities for businesses, boost the development of trustworthy technology, but also contribute to achieving the green transition.
What is the InvestEU Programme?
The InvestEU Programme supports the following 4 main policy areas (“windows”):
- Transport, in particular clean and sustainable transport modes, multimodal transport, road safety, renewal and maintenance of rail and road infrastructure
- Energy, in particular renewable energy, energy efficiency and building renovation projects focused on energy savings and the integration of buildings into a connected energy source, storage, digital and transport system, improving energy infrastructure interconnection levels
- Digital connectivity and access including in rural areas
- Supply and processing of raw materials, space, oceans, water, including inland waterways, waste management in line with the waste hierarchy and the circular economy
- Nature and other environment infrastructure
- Cultural heritage, tourism
- Equipment, mobile assets and deployment of innovative technologies that contribute to the environmental climate resilience or social sustainability objectives of the EU, and meet the environmental or social sustainability standards of the EU
Research, innovation and digitisation
- Research, product development and innovation activities
- Transfer of technologies and research results to the market, supporting market enablers and cooperation between enterprises
- Demonstration and deployment of innovative solutions and support to scaling up of innovative companies as well as digitisation of EU industry
- Access to and availability of finance primarily for SMEs, including innovative ones and those operating in the cultural and creative sectors, as well as for small mid-cap companies
- Possibility of capital support to SMEs that were not in difficulty in State aid terms already at the end of 2019, but since then face significant risks due to the crisis caused by the Covid-19 pandemic
Social investment and skills
- Social enterprise finance and social economy
- Measures to promote gender equality skills, education, training and related services
- Social infrastructure (including health and educational infrastructure and social and student housing)
- Social innovation, including social impact, impact investing and social outcome contracting
- Health and long-term care
- Inclusion and accessibility
- Cultural and creative activities with a social goal
- Integration of vulnerable people, including third country nationals
All 4 areas can contain strategic investments including Important Projects of Common European Interest to support final recipients whose activities are of strategic importance to the EU, in particular in view of the green and digital transitions, of enhanced resilience and of strengthening strategic value chains.
What are its benefits
Simplified and streamlined investment support
Just one set of rules and procedures and one point of contact for advice. InvestEU makes EU funding simpler to access and more effective.
Building on the success of the European Investment Plan
By using guarantees from the EU budget to crowd in other investors, the InvestEU Fund gives an added boost to investment in the EU.
Making EU funds go further
The EU budget guarantee can help public funds go further. InvestEU is expected to mobilise at least €372 billion in additional investment between 2021-27.
Improving the investment environment in Europe
Like the Juncker Plan, InvestEU is a part of the Commission’s economic policy mix of investment, structural reforms and fiscal responsibility, as well as the Commission’s response to the Covid-19 crisis, to ensure Europe remains an attractive place for businesses to settle and thrive.
The Member State Compartment
InvestEU also features a Member State Compartment for each policy area, meaning that EU countries may add to the EU guarantee's provisioning by voluntarily channelling up to 5% of their Cohesion Policy Funds to these compartments. In such a way, EU countries benefit from the EU guarantee and its high credit rating, giving national and regional investments more investment firepower and higher leverage.
EU countries are allowed to use InvestEU as a tool to implement their recovery and resilience plans under the Recovery and Resilience Facility (RRF), if they so wish. EU countries can use the InvestEU Fund on a voluntary basis and the InvestEU Advisory Hub as a tool to implement part of their Recovery and Resilience Plans in line with the RRF objectives.
For more information
Factsheet: What is InvestEU?
Factsheet: InvestEU - what will it finance?